Sunday 4 December 2011

Nightwish - Imaginareum

After taking a two year gap from the spotlight; Finnish/Swedish symphonic metal gods Nightwish had been hard at work on a brand new album known as Imaginareum. If you remember I took my first step into this journey a few weeks ago with the iconic new single Storytime that really had me wondering what the new album would consist of. I was very impressed with the album; Nightwish have really gone out of their way to experiment with brand new genres and it works amazingly well, yet the magic lyrics Tuomas Holopainen writes contribute immensely with the new sound. It's incredible how they produce a jazz inspired track called Slow Love Slow and pull it off so well; I had never heard that from Nightwish before so I was greatly surprised. I love how the album opens with an authentic Finnish song sung by the heavenly voice belonging to Marco Hietala which then smoothly transforms into album's first single Storytime. My personal favourite songs on this album are I Want My Tears Back and Turn Loose The Mermaids; I love the melody of I Want My Tears back and it's amazing to hear the familiar pipes provided by Troy Donockley, he provided the pipes for The Islander and Last Of The Wilds. Turn Loose The Mermaids is a relaxing celtic track that gives the ears a break from the heavy distortion from the electric guitars. Scaretale also came as a shock to me on the album; sounding very dark indeed and Anette Olzon's voice sounds incredible, it also has a very Tim Burton feel to it; reminding me of The Nightmare Before Christmas. Not just on this song but the whole album; it has been six years since long term vocalist Tarja Tururnen was sacked via an open letter; there has been many years of debating whether Anette was the right choice for the band and I can honestly say this album says she is. It really has been one magical journey in the Imaginareum and I have enjoyed every step of the way.

Stand out tracks:  I Want My Tears Back, Scaretale and Turn Loose The Mermaids

Tuomaslotte rates:  TTTTT


Find Nightwish on Facebook, Twitter and their official website

No comments:

Post a Comment